Wednesday, December 1, 2010

My birthday/Thanksgiving dinner

This year, my birthday/Thanksgiving dinner seemed like it was going to be an absolute disaster.  On Thursday, when I was buying all the vegetables I suddenly started feeling....not so well.  So I took some vitamin C, and did some salt water gargles and prayed for the best.  Friday morning.....oh the horror.  I felt like a bobcat had climbed into my bed while I was sleeping and gashed at my throat over and over again.  But, knowing that I had 20 guests coming over for dinner and about 30kg of vegetables strewn all over my kitchen made me get up, and go pick up my turkeys.  Disaster number two struck.....my turkey lady confused my 2 fourteen pound turkeys for 2 twenty pound turkeys and said she didn't have anymore and she was sorry.  So I went back home, only to spend half of my birthday morning plucking the remaining feathers from the monstrous beasts only to then realize that 1) I had to make more brine for them then 2) they didn't fit in my oven.  So, I did what any normal person in this type of situation would do.  I slumped down on the kitchen floor and cried.  Just a little bit.  Then I had a beer.  My boyfriend came home and found this burbling idiot and did what a smart person would do in this situation.  He called the turkey lady and gave her a piece of his mind.  Then, ta da! Just like magic, she DID have two 14 lb turkeys that just happened to appear after he spoke to her.  Anyhow, so all seemed to be going well, except that then the 3rd disaster struck.  They didn't fit in the fridge.  So, got a large plastic organizer container (with wheels, thank God) and placed the brine and the turkeys in there, sealed it with its lid and had to put the suckers on the balcony.  Its about 10 degrees outside so I thought they would be ok.  Except for that night, we had a cold spell and I was hoping and praying that I didn't wake up to two frozen turkeys.  Alas, they were fine, and I was able to pull off my whole meal in relative calm (read : in my pj's, overdosing on paracetamol, and taking naps any minute I could).

So this is my turkey day extravaganza menu, and I will share what I think is one of the knockout recipes with you!

THANKSGIVING 2010 MENU

APPETIZERS

Sausage and Potato Puffs
Truffled Brie with a Warm Wild Mushroom Fricassee

MAINS + SIDES

2 Riesling and spice brined Organic Turkeys
Asturian Cider Gravy
Apple, Leek, and Bacon Stuffing
Mini Corn Bread Puddings
Green bean Casserole, updated with porcini instead of button mushrooms
Sweet Potato and Potato Gratin

DESSERTS

Chocolate and Bourbon Tart
Apple Pie

Sausage and Potato Puffs Recipe: Sorry...no picture cause they flew before I got out the camera!!!!

4 dozen puffs

30 mins active, total time 1hr

3/4 lb potatoes
1 lb sausage ( I used a mix of chorizo, morcilla (black pudding) spicy italian and regular) casings removed
3/4 cups water
6 tbsp unsalted butter
1 1/2 tsp of salt
3/4 cup flour
4 large eggs
1/2 cup shredded Gruyere
1/4 cup grated Parmesan
1 tsp chopped thyme
1/2 tsp chopped rosemary
freshly ground pepper
1 lg egg yolk mixed with a tbsp of water

1. Preheat oven to 425 deg.  Coat mini muffin pan with oil spray.  In saucepan, simmer potatoes for 20 mins, or until tender.  Let cool and peel and mash coarsely.

2. In a medium skillet, cook sausages until browned, 8 mins, coarsely crumble

3. In a medium saucepan, bring water, butter and salt to a boil.  Remove from heat and add flour, stirring vigorously with a wooden spoon, until combined.  Set over medium heat and cook dough, stirring until it comes away from the sides of the pan, 2-3 minutes.  Remove from heat.

4. Using and electric mixer, beat dough for 1 minute on low speed.  Beat in eggs, one at a time on medium speed.  Beat in Gruyere, Parmesan, herbs and pepper.  Stir in potatoes and sausage.

5. Fill muffin cups with dough, and brush the tops with the egg mixture.  Bake for 20 minutes until puffed up and golden.

3 comments:

  1. Yummmmmmm!!!! well done Carla...you are supercook I swear:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. FANTASTIC!! Sounds wonderful Benj!! I had the same thing happen to me at the butcher... but they said "you aren't on the list so we can't sell you a turkey". Someone had screwed me and not put in my order that I did on Saturday. So, I was driving around looking for turkey ON WEDNESDAY... I can totally relate to the crying on the floor.

    ReplyDelete
  3. #1... your BF is definitely a knight in shining armor who came to your rescue #2 ... you're such a trooper for still pulling this off even when you're not feeling well #3 ... so glad everthing all worked out! Can't wait to try your recipes! ~ Nova

    ReplyDelete