Saturday, December 11, 2010

Japanese Dinner



A couple of weeks ago we decided to make sushi and gyoza at home, and have a Japanese themed dinner.  Normally, we do theme dinners, but we never ever had done a Japanese theme....mainly because I think that the thought of making sushi at home is a bit daunting!  It looks quite simple, but I know that it is the perfect balance of the rice, extra fresh fish and technique.  But we gave it a go, and it was actually quite fun!  My friend Cris prepared the rice, and she did a fantastic job.  I made the gyoza and the rolls and then the toro tuna tataki. 
I was pretty scared about the sushi, just because I have never made it in my life.  But I have eaten hundreds of times at my favorite sushi bar here in Barcelona, and have studied the sushi chefs closely.  So I put all of those memories to practice.  I remembered the part about keeping your fingers moist  so the rice won't stick to your fingers, and to press it down evenly in a semi-thin layer.  The cutting of the fish was what made me nervous.  I remember watching them slice it perfectly, discarding any bits that weren' t perfect.  But we bought our salmon form sushi restaurant purveyors in the market by my house, so freshness was guaranteed.  The actual rolling bit takes a couple of tries, but once I got the hang of it, I managed to make quite a few rolls that looked *close* to perfect!  I guess I will have to try it more than once a year to actually get the hang of it.  But, honestly, I much prefer to sit at my favorite place and watch them make it!

Here's the recipe for the gyoza, that turned out to be delicious and it is really easy.

For 20 gyoza approx:

1 package of wonton wrappers
1/2 lb ground pork or beef of a mix of both
3 scallions, chopped
1/3 cup boiled napa or chinese cabbage, sliced
3 tbsp soy sauce
1 tbsp fresh grated ginger
1 tbsp oil

For Serving Sauce
2 tbsp rice wine vinegar
1 tbsp soy sauce
Chili oil to taste

Mix all ingredients except oil in a large bowl.  Place 1/2 tbsp of filling in wonton wrapper, and with wet fingers press together to seal.  When done, heat oil over high heat in a non-stick skillet.  Place the gyoza flat side down, and brown for about 2-3 minutes.  Lower the heat to medium low, and add 1/4 cup of water and cover the skillet and steam until all the water has evaporated.
Serve with the sauce and your favorite Sake.......Kampai!!!

1 comment:

  1. Hi Carla,

    I found your details on your blog. I hope you might be able to help me with my strange request…

    I am a Producer working on a television show called House Hunters International which follows English speaking expats in their quest to purchase a house abroad. I am hoping to find English speaking expats to profile who are living in Spain. I wonder if you or any of your expat contacts might be interested in getting involved?! I would love to find out more about your story! Please find a little blurb about the show below:

    House Hunters International is a half-hour program currently airing on the Home and Garden Television Network (HGTV) in America.
    The series is designed to de-mystify the international home-buying process by going behind the scenes of a house hunt where buyers and their real estate agents tour 3 homes.

    At its core, House Hunters International is a travel show concentrating on the idiosyncrasies of the locales and what makes them special and different.

    You can watch some examples of the show here:

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kh0Q6DYe3QM - London from South Africa (1600 series)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fLmhKEzm5kg - Dubai from Illinois (2000 series)


    Please get in touch if you have any more questions about the show. I look forward to hearing from you!

    Best wishes and many thanks,

    Michelle

    Michelle James
    ASSOCIATE PRODUCER LEOPARD FILMS
    1-3 St Peter's Street, London N1 8JD - +44 20 7704 3300
    michelle.james@leopardfilms.com
    www.leopardfilms.com

    ReplyDelete