Friday, December 3, 2010

Mediterranean Connection : Fusili with smoked aubergine and tomato sauce

As you all know, I recently returned from Istanbul.  One of my favorite favorite mezze was the smoked aubergine dip.  I was racking my brain how I could possibly recreate it back here at home, then flipping through my cookbook, it showed the process.  I had no idea it was this easy....you can smoke it on top of your gas flame or on the barbecue! 
Needless to say, I don' t have a barbecue, but I do have a gas stove top.  I already made the dip on its own, but since I am so in love with it, I wondered if it could be recreated into a pasta dish.  Since all the ingredients I am going to use are Mediterranean, both common in Italy and Turkey, I figured, why not?

So, I bought my firm, medium, unblemished aubergine and dutifully smoked it.  Combined it with a spicy tomato sauce that I had leftover from pizza night on Monday (Barca vs. Madrid game....5-0!!!) and toasted up some pine nuts, chopped some fresh parsley and mozzarella. 

It was amazing.  I really wasn't sure what the flavours would taste like together, but the smoked aubergine gave the spicy tomato sauce a rich meaty flavour!  The best part is that its really easy to make, healthy and light! 

250 g Fusili pasta

For the tomato sauce:

1 small can crushed tomatoes
1 Tbsp olive oil
2 garlic cloves, peeled and sliced in half
1 tsp crushed red chillies
1/2 tsp oregano

1 medium aubergine
2 tbs pine nuts, toasted
1 mozzarella, cubed
1 tsp fresh parsley
Salt and Pepper to taste

Put a large stock pot of water to boil.  In the meantime place the olive oil in a small sauce pan over low heat.  Add the garlic, chillies, and oregano.  Heat until fragrant, about 2 minutes.  Add the crushed tomatoes and simmer for 10-15 minutes.


Over a gas flame set on medium, place entire aubergine.  Keep turning until you touch the aubergine and its soft, but not mushy.  Place in a plastic bag and let it sweat for 5 minutes.  Over a bowl, cut aubergine in half and scoop out the flesh and mush with a fork.  Set aside. 









Toast your pine nuts, until dark golden, swirling but don't let them burn.  When the water is boiling, add your pasta and boil as it says on the package instructions.  When the pasta is done, drain and mix it with the sauce, aubergine, pine nuts and mozzarella.  Mix well, and top with the fresh parsley, salt and pepper to tase.  Have a glass of red wine, and your done!  Enjoy! 

No comments:

Post a Comment