Wednesday, November 25, 2009

Side note....Last night´s dinner.

Yesterday, I had an overwhelming desire for Wiener Schnitzel mit Pommes Frites. It just came on, all of a sudden. So....I did, without the Pommes frites. Basically, I had cotoletta alla Milanesa. I love to eat this with a side salad of Rucola with just a little oil, lemon and parmesan shavings. This dish is so near and dear to my heart, because it reminds me of my school days, especially when we used to go skiing in St. Moritz. I don´t particularly remember the restaurant's name where we used to eat it, but I do remember the sensation of utter happiness when you would chew on that butter dredged morsel.

The secret to a great Wiener Schitzel, or Cotoletta (whatever you choose to call it) is in the bread crumb batter. I personally always use my Uncle Gianni´s method. It is fool-proof. Whatever it is you are coating, whether it be veal or chicken, we always use the same batter ingredients.

In a medium size bowl, combine 2 or 3 eggs (depending on how many fillets you are going to coat) with just a bit of milk, salt pepper and then grate some parmesan cheese into it. In a flat baking dish, place the bread crumbs so you can easily coat the whole fillet.

So, you dunk the fillet into the egg mixture, make sure it is completely coated, and then lift it up so the excess egg drips off. Then cover it with the bread crumbs. then dip it again into the egg mix, and then again into the bread crumbs, but this time, place the fillet in the palms of your hands after you coated it with breadcrumbs and start patting it down all over, so you can feel the crumbs almost becoming one with the fillet. Do this until you feel that it is dry, and the whole fillet is covered. Set aside and do with the remaining fillets.

In a deep frying pan, over medium heat, heat up a generous amount of oil. I usually use a mixture of olive and sunflower oil. The reason for this, is that sunflower oil can heat up at a higher temperature than olive oil, that way your fillets will brown evenly. Fry them until they become just golden on each side. Remember that they will continue to brown after you take them out. Place them on a paper napkin to soak up the excess oil.

I usually serve them with a lemon wedge, and as I said, a side salad of rucula with a bit of oil, lemon and parmesan shavings. Voila....perfection.

Check ya later on today for the pie recipes......if I can haggle down the price of the cranberries. If not, it´s blueberries this thanksgiving.
Carla

No comments:

Post a Comment