Friday, November 27, 2009

Inopia Tapas Bar and XIX Gins and Cocktails







Last night for my birthday, Paolo took me to my favorite tapas bar in Barcelona.




Inopia Classic Bar.




I personally think it is the best tapas restaurant in Barcelona. It is owned by Albert Adria, El Bulli´s famous pastry chef and brother of Ferran Adria. Everytime I go, I am always suprised by the amazing quality of all the food, and even though the menu doesn´t change except for their daily specials, it always surprises me. In the picture, is Gorka, my friend who works at the door, and in the past, used to sing out the tapas that were finishing.


The bar is standing room only, but for the one table that seats 12. You have to reserve it well in advance though, since its usually booked months before.




Last night, I had my usual. Started off with the Olive mix, then on to "Matrimonio" which is an white anchovy fillet on top of a normal one. The intermingling taste atop a slice of fresh, crusty bread with tomatoes is mouthwatering. Then, we had the "Ensaladilla Russa" which is a potato salad with tuna, eggs, olives and red pepper. I think that Inopia has the best one in town. Then we had the fried shrimp....I can´t explain how amazing this dish is. The batter is so unique, I was explained that it is almost a trade secret, the way they marinate the shrimp in the batter, softens the shell so you can pop the whole thing in your mouth, giving you this crispy crusty morsel of deliciousness.....no words. Then on to the daily special, which were porcini mushroom fritters, oh my God. It was like a party in my mouth. Amazing. Then of course, the "Patatas Bravas" which is fried potatoes with a spicy sauce and Alioli.




The best part about Inopia though, is that across the street is my favorite bar of all, XIX. It is a small bar on the corner of Tamarit and Rocafort, and it's unique for its tremendous selection of Gins. I am a gin aficionado. It is a philosophy. Before or after dinner, a stop here is well worth it. Not only for its selection of gins, but because Mike, (top picture) owner of the bar, prepares them so lovingly. You can´t imagine what a pleasure it is to see someone prepare your cocktail this way, it's a show in itself. I'm not going to give the details of what he does, because seeing it for the first time with your own eyes is something not to be missed. Suffice to say, that each gin has different ingredients, and each Gin and Tonic is prepared differently to make your sipping experience all the better. I highly highly highly recommend the two places, as a fantastic night out in Barcelona!
Check ya later,
C


No comments:

Post a Comment